Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Reaching all Learners

Hi All,

This week I will be blogging about differentiating instruction (DI) in Math class. DI is very important because it allows teachers to plan lessons in accordance with student's specific learning needs. Specifically, DI allows for teachers to meet students in their learning. While I was aware of how to implement DI strategies in other subjects, I was unsure of how to create differentiation in Math-apart from providing manipulatives. 

I think this has to do in part with the way that I was taught Math, so when Pat provided us with an open question in class, I was taken aback. I sat there unable to start on the problem because I was unsure of how to proceed. Where were all the given numbers that I simply needed to plug in? Why were there percentage? What do I need to figure out? 

After asking myself these questions,I read the question one more time and began to deconstruct the problem by putting myself in the situation. Also, I used numbers that I was most comfortable with, which helped me start! 

The DI strategy of providing students with an open tasks, not only supports the inquiry model, but it helps to meet every learners needs. That is, every learner is able to have an entry point and once they get more comfortable with the concept,they are able to build on the learning. Now, it is important to note that students do not magically understand concepts,rather there needs to be time for reflection, collaboration and feedback while students are explaining thinking. For example, a teacher could ask which mathematical processes helped the student in solving the problem or how was work represented? 

The key, for students being able to respond well to this DI strategy,is for teachers to  develop strong open tasks. Relatable, realistic, and personalized open tasks allow for students to see themselves in the learning and to engage with the material thereby deepening their understanding. 

Another DI strategy is 
(Capacity Building Series, p.8)
using parallel task which are open, but allow student's choice. This type of task allow students to choose a   question that they are most comfortable with and then progress to a more challenging one. This is the beauty of open tasks because they meet the needs of different learners whilst addressing the same big idea. In class, I thought that the parallel tasks were really meaningful because, as a Mathematical learner, I was able to choose a problem without feeling self-conscious about my  abilities. Moreover, I was able to create personal goals, for examples: I set the goal of completing the 'comfortable' question and then set another goal of trying to attempt the more challenging question.

Overall I think that DI is beneficial for students, however it needs to used in a way that meets the learning goals of the curriculum and of the individual, that is the only way DI can be successful–especially in Math. Open tasks, parallel tasks, engaging activities, different methods and collaboration are elements that must be incorporated into DI strategies in order for the learning to be meaningful. 


James P., N. (2016). 6 Golden Rules For Engaging Students; image creation and attribution via Sakai Math II

MOE. (2008). Capacity Building Series: Differentiating Mathematics Instruction. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Erlisa,

    Great post! I'm glad you included the "Golden Rules for Engaging Students" poster in your post. From time to time teachers get to caught up in accomplishing hitting on all expectations within their lesson and forget that they have to engage their students as well as teach, and when a problem arises they think of differentiated expatiation as an after thought. It is better to think about your students needs before hand, rather than try to differentiate after you run into a struggle. Thank you for for highlighting the need for highlighting the need for individualized earning in math is an importance that sometimes teachers forget about. We need to keep that as a first priority, not as an after thought.

    ReplyDelete